When the Universe Provides...

Well, my friends, here we are again, I hope you're all safe and well as always although I'm very aware some parts of the world are in yet more lockdowns, whereas others are facing the challenges of Mother Nature with hurricanes, floods, fires etc. I think all we can do is keeping each other in our thoughts and hoping these difficult times pass. Like many of you, I have felt hopeless when I've seen the aftermath of the various natural disasters, after all, I know there is really nothing I can personally do, to alleviate the problems various communities are trying to overcome. I have to admit, when I've seen certain billionaires investing their vast fortunes in trying to get to space, mainly it seems, to satisfy some childhood dream of being an astronaut. I have felt this money could be infinitely better spent in supporting humanitarian projects. But I guess it's their money so the choice is their own, but as I said, it does make me wonder. 

Anyway, so what's been happening here? Well, sadly, I am still not a multimillionaire yet but I comfort myself with the knowledge there is still time. But anyway, as regular readers know, I have been struggling recently with both mental and physical health- there have been many times when it has felt as if it really wasn't worth the effort to keep trying. So much so, even attempting to write has proven to be virtually impossible. As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I had started a new story but deleted the whole thing and it felt as if even writing was beyond me. But, when I was at my very lowest, an author mentor friend got in touch and we started to talk. She highlighted, until now, most of my books had serious themes and so to try and write another when I was already so down myself, could well be 'rubbing salt into the wound.' I assumed she was suggesting I write some kind of humorous story, but I was wrong, instead she reminded me of the 'write about what you know' adage. Anyway, our conversation ended and I was all but convinced I would find it impossible and the truth is, it was, for several days.

To go slightly off track, I should explain, in an effort to help my poor health, I decided to try and make sure I went for a long walk every day- an idea inspired by a really lovely friend. At first, trying to drag my weary carcass for any distance at all, felt as if I was hauling myself through thick treacle. But I persisted and realised I might well find it easier if I listened to music as I  walked, and it has made all the difference. With that explained, on this particular day, I was walking along and suddenly the opening chords of Shania Twain's classic ' Man, I feel Like a Woman' blasted into my eardrums. It reminded me of all those past times when I used to dance around the house, while doing the housework, to amuse my children. When that memory formed in my mind, suddenly, the idea for a story came to me and so when I got home, I started to type and, I am happy to say, it's going really well so far. I can't tell you too much, but it's basically about a happy family, the central character is a mother, who has the opportunity to open a door in her life which she had assumed was long closed. I know that's a bit vague but I can promise you, it is a story which is ultimately uplifting but more importantly, one which most women will identify with and hopefully enjoy.

Thank you Shania x

The first chapters have been reviewed  and I'm very happy to report, received favourably and -even better- the readers want to know what happens! I know you won't be surprised to learn, since beginning this book, although the health issues haven't magically evaporated, my attitude to them has been changed. I have gone from feeling as if everything was basically pointless to having hope again- all thanks to Shania Twain. What is strange is the song was on an epically long playlist, I was listening on shuffle mode, so there was no guarantee I would have ever heard it but it came, just when I needed to hear it.

Also, quite out of the blue, it does seem the wider world is opening up again, vaccinations are being widely distributed and so hopefully, we are all finally turning the corner. Speaking personally, I have found the tough restrictions on travel very difficult as so many of my hopes and dreams were based on being able to move freely. Again, after months of consciously avoiding watching too much of the news, one day,  while I was  looking for something else, I happened to see a report about how definite moves are being made to open up the world again. Seeing that story was also pure chance and gave my spirits another lift, so perhaps, if it is darkest before the dawn, the sun is finally peeking over the horizon.

Finally, I think all of us have experienced dark times, when it feels as if there is no hope, but if we are really lucky, a light is switched on when we least expect it. As in my case, if I hadn't seen my friend's posts about walking, I might never have heard the song. Equally, if I hadn't been looking for a specific article, I wouldn't have learned about the world opening again. I know these things are pretty trivial, but in my little life, they have certainly brought light back.

I hope you are all equally fortunate because when it happens, it does remind you, there is always hope, nothing bad lasts forever and if you keep going - however slowly- the light will come. Anyway, that's more than enough for now, so as always. love to you all and...


Take care as always xx

Popular Posts