The Times they are A-Changing

Hello Everyone, I know it's been a while since I have been here but these days have been anything but ideal. In my own life, the administrators of Facebook have decided all the posts shared to promote my latest novel 'Barefoot on the Grass', are nothing more than SPAM and so have been deleted. As you can imagine, this has proved to be extremely detrimental to the book's progress and so has left me wondering where to go next or even whether to carry on writing at all! I still haven't decided but when I do, you'll obviously be the first to know. However, this post isn't about my personal problems but more about how everything seems to be changing and not always for the better. It was inspired by the recent Platinum Jubilee celebrations to mark the 70 years of Queen Elizabeth 2's reign. 


Now, I know many openly declare themselves anti-monarchy, others who say it's nothing more than a relic from a bygone age - I would have to disagree. If you were able to see the celebrations, where thousands of people gathered around Buckingham Palace to see the Queen- from every walk of life, every ethnicity, every gender etc - you couldn't have failed to notice how they all came together for the same reason. Nobody cared about any perceived differences between each other instead they were all laughing, singing and cheering in unison, so it would be hard to argue against the idea, it was a strong statement of solidarity between the Queen and her people. How many of our political leaders could come anywhere close to receiving that level of respect, love and support from the population? I think it's fair to say absolutely none. Now, whether this affection remains when the Queen is no longer around, well, we will just have to wait and see, but for now, I think most people in the UK, are very happy she appears to be doing so well.

When you think about someone being a public figure for 70 years, it seems almost unbelievable, there has been almost no scandal attached to the Queen herself. Obviously, some members of her family have behaved appallingly and still don't seem to grasp how fortunate they are to have so much privilege. Also, there have been moments when her judgement has been questioned especially concerning those family members. But for her 'professional' career, there have been no lurid stories, no veiled hints of corruption behind the scenes and no scandalous revelations about her private life. If only the same could be said of those elected officials who are allegedly running so many nations across the world. It seems hardly a day goes by without some horrifying abuse of power being exposed in the world's media.

It would be perhaps 'easier' if those leaders were the known dictatorships that seem to dominate less wealthy countries. But I think many Western leaders could do with looking at their own behaviour before being too quick to condemn them. I don't know about you but I'm not even surprised anymore when yet another story appears about how one leader or another, did something so monumentally self-serving rather than actually caring about the ordinary people. Perhaps that's another reason the Queen is held in such high esteem, from the very beginning of her reign, she talked a great deal about serving the country and its people. Judging by the tide of affection throughout the Jubilee celebrations, obviously, most citizens feel she has done her absolute best to stay true to that commitment. But again, have the politicians? Oh, they do a good job of saying the 'right' thing as they take office and then only a matter of weeks later, that alleged resolve fades and it becomes all about making themselves look good while dodgy dealings go on behind closed doors. Before anyone gets the impression I'm only referring to the UK Prime Minister, you could not be more wrong although he has done more than his fair share of, to put it mildly, behaving badly. If you take a moment to look around the world, as I write today, investigations and formal proceedings are happening, so whatever your own political beliefs, I'm not sure anyone can truthfully say, 'not in my country.'

But as the title of this post suggests, I am still hopeful the times are a-changing with more accountability, a free press and the growing strength of so many who are demanding 'enough is enough.' I have no doubt, that the rising tide of dissenting voices is prompted by the cost of living crisis which seems to be affecting most countries in the Western world. I think people can put up with a great deal until they are faced with the stark choice between keeping the lights on or feeding their family, when fuel prices are so high even a simple trip to the supermarket is unaffordable and worse still, the lack of mental health care is causing untold stress and heartbreak. I know it might sound a bit too hopeful but I hope the growing vocal outrage opens the eyes and ears of leaders and they start to pay some attention to their citizens before it's too late.

It's been quite a time for the world, hasn't it? We had a global pandemic, the horrifying ongoing war in Ukraine, and gloomy predictions about the effects of climate change etc It would be easy to become incredibly downhearted and maybe even consider giving up completely after all, so much, has been lost. Certainly, the pre-COVID world was a very different place than where we are now, sadly people have passed away, businesses closed down and everything that felt permanent seems to be infinitely less certain. But just as times have changed for the worse, there's nothing to say, they can't change again and this time, for the better. I hope there will be positive signs in all your lives and you will start to feel the worst is over. I mean, over the Queen's seventy years, she has seen the very best of life and had to go through the most painful of times - yet there she is and so if nothing else, that should give us all hope.

Finally, as I'm very unsure about where my own life is going, I'd like to take a moment to say thank you so much for all the wonderful support you've all given me since this blog began all those years ago. Although I have gone through some personally challenging times, you have been there and I appreciate it more than you could possibly imagine. So whatever happens next, I will always be hoping for the best for you all...


Take very good care out there xxxx 



Popular Posts