Where to begin ?

Good morning my friends, and I wish you all a happy, healthy and successful New Year. Before I begin with my main post, obviously, I want to add my sadness and sincere condolences to the people of Australia. I think the whole world has been moved by the pictures we have seen, be it the extraordinary courage of those on the front line or the heart-breaking reality of so much loss of life- there aren't words. All we can do, is send our support and remind you - on a daily basis- whatever our differences might be politically, culturally or religiously, they pale into insignificance when placed next to the horror you're all facing, so just know, we are with you.

Now, you might be wondering why I have not written until now, to be honest, I needed some time to make some sense of my feelings but, I believe I have finally got some kind of grip which is why I have dragged out the trusty laptop. During the run up to Christmas, I witnessed people behave in a way which genuinely shocked me, (it will come as no surprise to learn, I am employed within the retail sector). Now, unless I am mistaken, one of the original reasons for Christmas was to celebrate the birth of Jesus even though it's pretty clear he was not born on 25th December. If you consider the alleged 'immaculate conception' occurred on 8th December, well, nobody can possibly have a pregnancy which lasts little more than a fortnight! But leaving the mathematics to one side, the story goes, Mary and Joseph were humble people who travelled a vast distance on a donkey, so she could give birth in a stable. They were clearly not wealthy, but I think it's fair to say, they were basically good-hearted souls who did their best under extreme circumstances. Now, if this event is what we are all celebrating, how does the behaviour of some people possibly relate ? In the few days before the big day, fights broke out in supermarkets over toys, bread was literally ripped out of the hands of shop employees and as for 'good will to all men'? Well, it seemed to be one of the few things which was in very short supply.

I saw people loading vast amounts of food into their cars while nervously looking around, out of fear, they might have missed something. Now, if Mary, Joseph and Jesus are watching, can you imagine what they might be thinking ? Does all this excess have anything to do with what happened to them ? The pure greed of some, the gluttony of others, the apparent total disregard for the wellbeing of the rest of the population. For a season which purports to be about the simple beginnings of an extraordinary person - it did seem Christmas has become the shopping version of 'The Hunger Games.' Now, I'm not saying everyone behaved badly, I am all too aware of those who do think of others less fortunate and give up their time and energy, but sadly it did seem they were in the minority.

So having survived Christmas, we were then faced with the New Year - I need to state for the record, I am not a fan. Aside from some personal reasons, it has always seemed as if we are all trying a bit too hard to have a good time. We have overindulged at Christmas, perhaps we feel a bit bloated and yet, only a few days after we have forced down the last turkey sandwich, it's party time again. Speaking personally, New Year's Eve parties always start too early, your host/hostess will tell you, 'the fun starts at 8.00'. It sounds perfectly reasonable until you realise, that means there is four hours of small talk to endure until someone starts the countdown to midnight. Four hours is not a long time if you think about it, but when the sole topic of conversation is 'how was your Christmas?' - let's be honest, it can drag a bit. Also there is the tradition of everyone kissing everyone else as the New Year chimes its way along, if you're in a relationship, this can mean a frantic search for each other at around 11.57 - but if you're single ? Oh it's so much more terrifying. You stand anxiously at the side of the room, desperately trying to avoid eye contact with anyone who looks vaguely creepy - speaking for myself, it's the ones who wink at me and grin, they literally send shivers down my spine. As midnight draws ever closer, you have probably ruled out 98% of the other guests as possible kissing buddies, so it now becomes a mission to make sure you're within reach of the other 2%. Once you've gained your position at the elbow of your intended victim, you know you have to hold their attention at all costs ! Other single guests start circling you like sharks, as they realise you have one of that 2% - so you go to more extreme measures to keep them focused on you. In those last few moments, you are more witty, more charming and more sexually overt that you are at any other time of year. Finally the bells chime and you grab your victim and slap your lips on them, luckily, they are generally fairly intoxicated so they are more than happy to reciprocate, in fact, you later discover, they were relieved you grabbed them because they were actually terrified of some of the other guests.

When the last bell has rung out, you try and step back but, you failed to consider, they might be enjoying all the lip-locking and so extricating yourself from their clutches might be slightly trickier than you'd envisaged. But when you do finally part, slightly breathless and sweaty, you glance around the room and acknowledge others who were not so lucky. They are wiping their mouths in an attempt to remove all traces of Mr/Mrs Creepy, you want to feel some degree of sympathy but this is vastly-outweighed by the sheer relief the person you were kissing, is not winking, hitching their trousers over their now-exposed stomach or, worse still, saying loudly, 'I had to fight her off me.'

But once the last party popper has sent its ribbons and glitter into the air, we are faced with the prospect of  a New Year. We resolve to make this one different but sadly, all too soon, our good intentions topple by the wayside - giving up chocolate becomes akin to torture, visiting the gym ? Well, after a long day at work, who has the energy ? And as for all those other apparent 'vices', very often its those very indulgences that get us through the day. But for me, 2020 has taken on a unique significance, as I have already begun to make major changes in my life, (obviously they don't include foregoing any indulgences).

This sudden change of attitude was prompted by realising I am rapidly approaching 40 - although sadly from the wrong direction. Time was ceasing to be endless and if I was going to make real changes, what better day to begin than January 1st ? Oh I was filled with a rare confidence and self belief, this was going to be my year, I read inspirational quotes and even tried looking at my own reflection so I could tell myself I was a strong, beautiful woman - ( I know it sounds easy, but it really isn't, all that happens is you see those wrinkles, that scar which never seems to fade and the omnipresent facial expression which says, 'who are you trying to kid ?'

So my New Year, New Me has stalled and it's only the 7th of January ! Woe is indeed me ! But all is not lost, as the luminous Scarlett O'Hara says in 'Gone With the Wind', 'Tomorrow is another day.' So as I write this to you, I am hoping I shall wake up, filled with renewed hope and vigour, I hope I can read the new novel I have begun writing, and not see its failings but see its potential - much as I would like to see myself.

Well, this is more than enough from me, I hope you have the courage to pursue your hopes and dreams this year, so perhaps 2020 really will be OUR year....until the next time,

Take care out there xx


Popular Posts