When Doing Nothing just isn't an Option

Hello Everyone ! I hope you're all doing well and managing to stay relatively sane throughout the current lockdown. I don't know about you, but it's proving to be harder and harder as the weeks pass but, considering keeping us all apart is the safest option, well, then we are all obligated to stick to the rules. Through social media, I have been incredibly impressed by how some people are making the most of their time at home. Some have started baking in earnest and post gorgeous pictures of the most delicious looking food - unfortunately, this has not been beneficial to my waistline as just admiring their handiwork has driven me to frequent trips to the fridge. Thankfully, this does mean I have moved from the sofa so I guess that's something ! I've also seen several videos posted of people starting yoga, doing very energetic exercise routines etc Sadly, I have not joined this group as yet, but obviously should I start struggling to reach the fridge, I will have to re-consider, although maybe it could fly to me...hmmmmm

…..my favourite superhero...hahaha
There have also been several celebrities who have opted to stay in touch with us all by posting videos from their own home, with varying degrees of success. I have to say, for me, those shared by musicians have rarely disappointed unless they are the few who apparently cannot perform without a hefty dose of Autotune. On the negative side, ( which is not somewhere I like to dwell for too long), I must confess to getting mildly annoyed by certain members of the rich and famous, who post about how 'we are all in this together.' Now, obviously we are, but I'm guessing it's much easier to while away the time when you have a sauna, swimming pool, tennis court etc within the extensive grounds you own-not to mention the home cinema room ! But as I said, I don't like to be a Debby Downer, so as I've watched all these different posts, it did occur to me, what could I do ?

As an aspiring author, obviously I'm hopeful I have some degree of writing talent, but how could this possibly be of any use at all ? As luck would have it, the answer came when a friend's young daughter told me about how she found the whole Coronavirus experience really quite frightening. So, in an effort to cheer her up, I wrote a short story called 'Boris and the Corona Dragon.' Now, I cannot stress enough, this book has absolutely NO political bias whatsoever, I used the name purely as it was one she associated with the pandemic. Leading on from writing this story, it then seemed logical, to publish the book and hopefully raise some money for the various charities who are supporting everyone.

I have since done this, but was then faced with another problem, as my usual books are obviously for an adult audience, to put 'Boris' under my author name seemed a terrible idea. After all, as the hope was to attract the attention of children, I didn't really want them to have access to my other work- some of which definitely contain adult themes. So, in the hope of preventing any confusion, I have chosen another name, hoping this will lead young readers to the right place - we live in hope !

Now writing a children's book might not seem especially mind-blowing, but when everyone else seems to be doing so much to help the community, to do nothing seemed very wrong. So I have high hopes, through Boris, I might be able to make a small contribution.

Anyway, as we all try and keep going, I hope you find ways of keeping your own spirits up and maybe spreading some love to those around you. I think social media has really come into its own, it has meant we can still talk, still peek into each other's lives and, most importantly, check in with each other. So while I return to my own Facebook wall where, hopefully, there will be yet more delicious recipes for me to try.....oops I mean resist, obviously hahaha...please look after yourselves and stay safe....from me..until the next time...


Take care out there xxxxx

Popular Posts