Merry Christmas and a Hopeful New Year

 Well, my friends, with Christmas nearly here, I wanted to take a moment to wish you all the very happiest and healthiest times over this festive time. Like many of you, things here in the U.K. are far from ideal, with lockdowns, a new COVID strain and possible food shortages - not exactly what we would want at any time but especially when we should be enjoying celebrations. I know there are so many people here, who had hoped to spend time with relatives who have had to cancel their plans at the last minute, and they're right, it's not fair at all but perhaps necessary.

But amidst all the anxiety and disappointment, I still believe 2020 has made us all take stock of what's really important. I have read many reports about how distressed people are about not being able to spend time with their loved ones, but not a single word about getting great presents, spending a fortune on fancy food etc. Personally, I would be more than happy to be eating a sandwich, if it meant I could be with those who meant the most to me and as for presents? Just being in the same room, to laugh and watch TV together would be the very best gift possible. I know I have been made to be far more mindful of my health too, not just physically but emotional wellbeing too. It would have been very easy to have become very isolated, which for me, can quickly lead to depression, so I have made a conscious effort to really engage with people, especially through social media. Now I very well aware, a lot of people have severe misgivings about Facebook, Twitter etc but for me, I have to ask, where would we have been without the capability to reach out to people we can't visit in person? It's a straightforward way to check in with each other because, as we all know, sometimes all it takes to lift your day, is a friendly message or a quick scroll through your Newsfeed to see what friends are doing. It reminds you the rest of world is still out there and you are a part of it !


Today marks a special day, its the Winter Solstice in the North and the Summer Solstice in the South, which, as I am sure you know, marks either the longest or shortest day of the year. But more than that, we have a rare planetary moment happening too, which will result in what will look like huge bright star appearing in the sky. Now, understandably, those who follow the Christian faith cannot help but draw parallels between this event and the story of the Nativity. But even those without such a belief, I think we can perhaps all try and see this celestial event as a sign of hope for things to come.

I know it might seem a bit fanciful to try and link the movement of a couple of planets to what's happening on Earth, but, as this is traditionally a time of magic and wonder, I am going to believe it might well be a sign of better days.

Finally, none of us really know what the New Year will bring, with all the talk of vaccines, perhaps the tide will turn on the virus which has touched all our lives in one way or another. But more than that,  even if Life somehow rapidly returns to normal, I hope we don't forget everything 2020 has taught us because, I have noticed how much we have changed. Owing to restrictions, many people have discovered or re-discovered a love for creativity, so let's hope they keep putting their beautiful crafts out into the world for us all to enjoy. I hope we don't suddenly become 'too busy' again, to make that phone call or send that message. But most importantly of all, I truly hope, we never forget to remind those closest to us, just how much they mean - a person's presence in our life can sometimes be almost taken for granted. I know, in the past, I have been guilty in thinking, someone would always be there so I could get in touch tomorrow, or at the weekend - this is a mistake I will try never to repeat again.

Anyway, it only remains for me to thank you all so much for all your kind words and support throughout this year. Speaking personally, I began 2020, brimming with optimism with a whole raft of exciting plans which would have changed my life. Obviously, when all of them were indefinitely shelved, it was a bitter pill to swallow, however, you all made so much difference and I appreciate it more than you could possibly know. I wish you all the very best time you can have, I hope all your families stay safe and well, I will look forward to sharing this next year with you and who knows? It might be the very best one yet !



With love and best wishes..until the next time..


Take care out there xxx


 

Popular Posts