Reasons to be Thankful

 Hello Everyone, I hope, despite everything, you're all staying safe and well- the times we are living in do make the future seem uncertain but, there are reasons to be thankful. As regular readers will know, I've not been in the best place emotionally recently, I have found day-to-day life a real struggle. But inspired by the recent Thanksgiving celebrations in the USA, I have been consciously finding the more positive within my own life. 

Before going much further, I must say, without the online community I am lucky enough to know, I would not have got this far. I know a great deal is said about the dangers of relationships forged through social media but I have, for the most part, been extremely fortunate. Although time zones can be extremely frustrating, being blessed with friends on both sides of the planet, has meant, even in my darkest, most bleak moments, I have been made to feel less alone. It really is no exaggeration to say without those people, I am not sure I would not have fallen too far into a depression for it to be impossible to escape.

Like most people, I am very thankful for my family, to have people who love and support you, who always have your back and will- at times- somehow 'force' you to laugh when all you really want to do, is cry, this is a real gift. I am well aware, I am sometimes not the easiest person, I try, ( and often fail), to be more patient and less irritated with officialdom. Yet they allow me to rant and vent with loving understanding, reminding me that 'nothing bad lasts forever', when that simple truth eludes me. Also, when the 'dark' side of my mental health takes over, if they can't guide me out of it, they'll stay close by until it passes.

I am also extremely grateful for the good friends I have made, through many of the worst times, they have helped in more ways than they could possibly imagine. Sometimes through offering practical solutions to what feel like impossible problems whereas others, keeping me in their thoughts, reaching out with loving kindness and support. As an aside, to some people, looking at my situation, they would think I have very little and if we are talking materially, they'd be right. But what life lacks in some ways, is blessed a thousand times more, by the people who have come to be indispensable. There's a saying about, someone can be judged by the quality of their friends, if that's true ? Well, I cannot be all bad.

So far, I have talked about what life has given me, but I would hope, there have been times when those around me, feel I have given to them. I was once advised, however bad your own life feels, never stop looking out at the world otherwise you end up, only being able to see yourself. I know this is why I regularly check in with my online community, as even simply commenting on a post, hopefully shows I genuinely care but also reminds me, there's a whole world out there and many of us are facing challenges. It's very easy to feel sorry for yourself and become isolated, but those check-ins, stop that negative feeling immediately and suddenly my own problems fade to the back and someone else's life rightly leaps to the front of my mind.

I would be failing if I didn't say, how thankful I am for all the wisdom that's been shared with me over the years. When I was younger, I probably didn't always pay as much attention as I should have, but fortunately, the life lessons were learned any way. None of us ever know it all, but to have been shown how to avoid pitfalls, where the escape routes are and even being taught through someone else's experiences - well, they are all great gifts to be treasured.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has supported me through reading my books, visiting the Redbubble shop but especially by reading these posts. I have been so lucky to have had people message me through my Facebook page with questions, thoughts and occasionally, very bizarre requests. For someone who, at times, has a somewhat irrational need to be heard, every kind of contact is beyond welcome. Although I should say, some of the more salacious messages can be a bit much, so even though I never answer, I guess I should be grateful, they thought of me - er..maybe ?

So that's pretty much my list of reasons to be thankful, life is no less challenging, the future is no more certain - but just by writing this today has reminded me, how very fortunate I am. I sincerely hope, you have many reasons for gratitude in your own lives and always find reasons to smile every day..until next time..


Take care out there xxx

Popular Posts