Shouldn't Compassion be for Everyone ?

 Hello Everyone, I hope you're all doing well and you can see the light at the end of this pandemic tunnel - it would be good to know, we are almost at the end of what has been a challenging time. Today, I want to write about the Oprah interview which has caused all manner of divisions, not to mention, highlighted a degree of ignorance which is, at best, unhelpful. I have no intention of adding my voice to the riotous chorus of those from either side of the argument, mainly because only those directly involved, will ever really know the whole truth. But I do have a couple of thoughts which I should like to share with you which came to me, as I heard the word 'compassion' batted from one side to the other like a proverbial tennis ball.

For me, my first thought when this whole saga unravelled, was a level of compassion for the Queen, who is, aside from the title, an ordinary, elderly woman. Last night, I imagined what this time must be like for her, when all her staff had said goodnight and she was alone. The one person, her husband for over 70 years, is ill in hospital, and so perhaps for the first time in many years, she was not able to talk things through with him. How she must have missed him last night? Having had a day of listening to people bluster and argue all around her, how much she must have longed for a time to sit down with him and just share her private thoughts. If COVID has taught us all anything, it has highlighted how painful it is, to not be able to be with those you love the most- does anyone seriously believe, that pain is any less, merely because she has a title? Of course not. She has, like most of us, been largely isolated from her extended family, so she cannot turn to any of them aside from a phone call or maybe a Zoom meeting. We all know, from our own experience, grateful as we are for those methods of communication, it's not as good as being in the same room.

I have read so much undiluted ill-informed nonsense about her too, allegedly 'worthy' commentators, talking about how she 'chose' the role of Queen and has since exploited it as some kind of fascist dictator- what complete and utter rubbish. Anyone with even the slightest knowledge, knows Elizabeth was not born to be Queen, it was only because of her uncle's abdication, her father was made King and suddenly, she was in line. I should imagine there must be many times when she looks back and wonders what her life would have been like, had Edward stayed as king. She would have still married Philip, still had her children and yet would have lived a relatively quiet life in the country while championing charitable causes close to her heart. The possibility of that life was taken from her because her uncle-rightly or wrongly- placed his own emotions above his role. Those of us with adult children should look at them and wonder how they would cope, as Elizabeth did, when in her early 20's, her father died and she was elevated to the 'top job.' How would our daughters have managed? To go from a peaceful married life, to being thrust upon the world stage, dealing with world leaders and heads of state from around the world. Much as I love my own daughters, I am not entirely convinced they would have found it an easy transformation, as I'm sure Elizabeth didn't either. But her commitment to doing her best, to try and fulfil her duties as Queen - well, even her harshest critics admit, this cannot be questioned. I have absolutely no doubt, she has made mistakes along the way, spoken out of turn and lost her temper, but haven't we all? 

You might think I am a staunch royalist, but I'm really not, I do have misgivings about aspects of having a monarchy. On the other hand - and this is really my point - I think if we are going to talk about compassion, Elizabeth needs to be shown some too. How many of us have witnessed a family fallout? How many of us have received an angry phone call from a relative to complain about the actions of another family member? I would be surprised if anyone can truthfully say, nothing like that has ever happened to them. Yet, for Elizabeth, this is happening in the harsh spotlight of a media frenzy- accusations are flying back and forth, while the press endlessly speculates what they think should happen next. Headlines scream their opinion on what the Queen should do - but almost none really take a moment to consider, how Elizabeth must be feeling-her family is divided when, I am sure, she needs them to be truly united, as she waits for news of her husband. Obviously, she must also be feeling a whole range of emotions, as we would all do, if we were in her situation - I have no doubt, she is looking back and wondering if there was more she could have done or said which might have prevented the whole sad chain of events from ever getting started. But instead of having the comforting words of her husband, no doubt telling her, he is on her side- she faces this furore without him, a lady in her 90's without her most constant source of support.

I really have no idea how this whole sorry saga will play out, other than the fact, Oprah Winfrey's bank account has undoubtedly increased considerably. However, as sadly, the spectacle will drag on for some days, I will be thinking of Elizabeth and hoping she is genuinely coping well. She does have a strong religious faith and so I'd like to think, she is gaining some strength from her beliefs. I think to have had a place in public life for as long as she has, without any accusations of wrongdoing levelled at her personally, she deserves a degree of respect. But, more importantly, if compassion is being served up, I believe Elizabeth should receive her equal share regardless of what role she holds in society, after all, as I said before, she is just a human being like the rest of us....until the next time...


Take care out there xx


Popular Posts