As Sure as the Sun Rises

Hello Everyone! I hope you're all doing really well, I know it's Winter in the Southern Hemisphere, so stay warm which is definitely not a problem for us up here in the North. The temperatures across Europe have been insanely high recently which has brought with it, awful fires and the threat of drought. As for us here in the UK, well, we hit figures that were previously considered impossible. I have to admit, I do love the sun, but it was way too much for me although many were outside, getting themselves slowly roasted. I don't know about where you live but we had all kinds of apparent 'experts' solemnly giving us ground-breaking advice, like wear a hat, apply sunscreen etc which all seemed blatantly obvious, but I guess they have to be seen to earn their money! 


Anyway, while the sun is still shining outside my window, I'd like to first thank everyone who has been in touch to let me know their feelings on 'Barefoot on the Grass'. It's always so lovely to hear from readers and even better when they have enjoyed a story so much. It's a weird thing, when you write, the characters start to become almost real to you and so sending them out into the world, you can't help but hope they won't be criticised and will receive a warm welcome. Luckily, so far, (I never count my chickens before they're hatched), it seems you have taken Maggie and her family to your hearts. As I think I might have mentioned before, I had decided it would be my last novel, but it turns out another story was waiting impatiently to be told and I have been working hard on bringing it to life. It seems, writing is an essential part of my life and for me to try and deny that, well, I may as well try chopping off a limb!

Of all the comments and messages, I have received, one that did stand out was from a lady who simply said, with everything that was going on in the world right now which she was finding difficult, it was lovely to read something which was realistic but also happy. I have thought a great deal about what she said as, after all, any kind of creative endeavour is designed to entertain and engage with an audience. When those people are going through awful times, it does seem logical, they would want to be taken out of their worries for a while and just enjoy something for its own sake. Obviously, there is a huge market for crime, horror etc but for now, at least, I think I'll leave those to other writers and just follow my own path.

While on the subject of difficult times, the lady specifically mentioned the controversial decision by the US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade and her concerns as to what they might turn their attention to next, which apparently include reversing LGBTQI+ rights. As regular readers know, I almost never stray into the world of politics, but I would be lying I wasn't concerned about any choices that are made which are designed to have a detrimental effect on any section of society. Surely the basis of any nation which professes to be civilised, has to be that every citizen is treated equally and with respect, regardless of colour, gender, age, etc. I can completely understand why this lady is feeling so downhearted especially as more and more stories are emerging of American doctors having to consult lawyers before administering care to women who have reproductive issues - not specifically abortion. There was particularly harrowing report of a lady who was suffering with an ectopic pregnancy which was potentially life-threatening and yet the attending medical team had to seek legal advice before they could help. I hope, for the sake of all American women, the government can do something quickly which will clarify the law and make such obviously dangerous delays unnecessary. 

So, with my hopes for the wider world being stated, you might ask, what about my tiny corner of this lovely planet? Well, it's all about the writing for now, the story is progressing nicely although I am aware, where is set might be more than a little controversial. I can't really say why, at the moment, because I am still seeking opinions although whether or not I take the advice, well who knows? All I can say, is its one of those decisions which are either go with your head or your heart- sadly mine rarely seem to be going in the same direction haha

Anyway, that's probably more than enough from me for now, so as I said at the beginning, be safe and stay either warm or cool, depending on which is the most appropriate for you. Oh, before I go, you might be wondering why I chose the title for this post, well, aside from the weather, I am a big fan of having hope, so if you are struggling right now and things seem depressingly dark, try not to forget, the sun will rise in the morning and bring with it a new and maybe better day.


Take care out there xxxx

Popular Posts