Almost Time to Turn the Page

Hello Everyone, I hope all of you who had cause to celebrate over the past week enjoyed the festivities and are now suitably recovered to face the end of this year and the start of another. I think regardless of your beliefs, this is universally a time where we are all tempted to look back at the old year as it starts to fade and then look ahead with nervous anticipation. Like the majority of people, I have to admit, I am slightly more anxious than normal as so much has happened which seems to have unsettled the whole world. Just as the COVID outbreak started to be effectively managed, Russia invaded Ukraine which somehow triggered a cost of living crisis which is being felt everywhere. Normal life has turned into something of a survival exercise, where just making sure there’s enough food has become far from a certainty for thousands of people.

So should we start the New Year being fearful? Worrying about what might happen next? Although it’s tempting, I don’t think it’s the way forward. If you take even the most cursory glance back over your life, there will be moments where things felt impossible, but despite everything, you managed to get through and, very often, realised you were far stronger and more capable than you’d previously imagined. Now, I absolutely agree with anyone who might say that simply surviving isn’t really living, but when things are feeling especially bleak, knowing you have a proven track record of overcoming difficulties is very comforting.


But aside from the practicalities of life, I know for many, they’ll be facing this New Year without much loved people who have sadly passed. There are no words that can make that loss any easier and there will be days, particularly special occasions, where the fact they’re missing, will be glaringly apparent. All I can say is, I am a firm believer in the idea that as long as someone is remembered, they’re never really gone. So yes, they can’t be with you in the physical sense but I have absolutely no doubt, they will be there-every step of the way- in spirit.

So, with all that said, what do I hope for my own new year? Well, it’s no secret that 2022 was far from the best I’ve ever had. Not that I’m suggesting my experience has been any worse than anyone else, but the mix of both physical and mental health problems has certainly left its mark on me. I have spent more time with a variety of medical professionals than I would wish and it’s been quite the journey when faced with the demands of enforced lifestyle changes. But 2022 was not all bad, I somehow released two novels which have been thankfully well received, obviously this little blog continues to thrive and I’ve been blessed with meeting new friends as well as maintaining those who are as essential to me, as the very air I breathe. I haven’t been able to do as much as I would like, there is still a growing list of places I want to visit but the fact I’m still here to have those kind of dreams, is a major bonus. I’m also hoping to release a new book some time in the New Year, I can’t be more specific as to when but obviously I’ll keep you all updated. But aside from my professional life, I think one of my primary goals is to try and achieve more peace of mind rather than the somewhat unpredictable nature of how my brain seems to work. It can be very draining to have so much going on in my head at the same time and it certainly contributes to the ongoing insomnia, so just to find moments of complete calm would be wonderful.

Anyway, as no doubt you all have plans to mark the arrival of 2023, I’ll let you get organised but not without saying a massive thank you for all the support, the wonderful messages and sharing your own experiences with me. At the risk of sounding like a very bad Oscar speech, I really could not have achieved half as much without you or, in fact, made it through the really difficult times. I hope you all have a truly spectacular New Year’s Eve and it marks the start of an amazing year where many of your dreams come true....stay safe and as always...

Take care out there xxxxxx


Popular Posts