‘Twas a Few Days Before Christmas....’

Hello Everyone, I hope you’re all doing really well, staying warm here in the North and keeping cool in the Southern Hemisphere. Although this post will primarily focus on Christmas, I am, of course aware, many of us are observing other religious holidays and traditions, so obviously I wish you nothing but the best of times. Although they are all undeniably different, there are some similar themes, such as communities coming together, families and friends sharing the festivities, while taking time away from the everyday routine.In my own life, this time of year has definitely had its more varied moments! As an example, I have often been asked what it was like spending Christmas in Australia and I have to confess, it did take a bit of adjustment. It did seem strange to walk through a shopping mall, festooned in snow-covered windows, snowmen etc with ‘Winter Wonderland’ playing only to step outside into glorious sunshine! As I think I’ve mentioned before, the first time I was there, I opted to cook a full roast turkey dinner and almost baked myself as the temperature reached 40 degrees in the kitchen! Another Christmas was spent in Paris, which as you might imagine, was nothing less than magical and very possibly one of the very few times in my life, it felt as if I was on a movie set. Others were not quite so glamorous, but even those that happened in times of great hardship, were days I would not have missed. For some unknown reason, something often happened which ‘saved the day’, one year an unexpected payment appeared from a utility company which was more than enough to pay for everything necessary for a great time. 


But for all the joyous times, sadly, Christmas can bring the pain of those we have lost, to the surface. As we gaze at the Christmas tree, our minds can wander back to when much-loved people were sharing in the festivities. I try very hard not to dwell on the sadness and instead always try to focus on remembering the things they did, so they’re still very much a part of the whole experience. As I prepare the Christmas lunch, I can almost feel my mother standing next to me, making sure things are being done the ‘right’ way-which naturally meant her way. On the rare occasions I have tried to do something different, I’ve always regretted it, as for some reason, it never ‘felt’ as if it was being done properly. I’m aware it’s probably my imagination, but even the most basic food tastes different if I don’t follow her example. 

I can also clearly remember friends with whom I shared some particularly raucous Christmas Eve parties. Walking home, wearing wildly inappropriate clothes for the often freezing weather and singing Christmas songs (badly) at the tops of our voices. One particular person comes to mind, he was one of those people who could unquestionably charm the birds from the trees, who spent one such party insisting I needed to observe the tradition of kissing under the mistletoe. Well aware of his reputation, at first, I resisted, citing the fact I was far too smart to fall for any of his chat-up lines. After a riotous party, a group of us, including him, were walking back over London Bridge and we paused to take in the view. As we stood there, he asked if I had changed my mind, as I turned to look at him, his eyes sparkled with mischief. Naturally, at this point, I wanted to kiss him very badly but still trying to retain my ‘smart’ demeanour, I simply shrugged and said something about how unfortunate it was we didn’t have any mistletoe as it might have been fun. Without changing his expression, he reached into his coat and pulled out a small handful of foliage, covered in the familiar dark green leaves and berries, and held it over my head. I don’t need to go into detail but suffice to say, any trace of my resistance crumbled completely. I wasn’t to know, that less than a year later, he was gone, taken far too soon. We were never in a relationship, our paths crossed every so often but it wasn’t anything remotely serious yet still, to this day, many years later, when ever I see a sprig of mistletoe, I think of that cheeky smile and I’m so glad, I had the good sense not to resist. 

But I am well aware, for many people this time of year is simply too painful to contemplate, being surrounded by quite so much insistence that they should be ‘happy’ must make them wish they could somehow hibernate until the whole thing is over. I think it would be nothing less than plain arrogance to suggest I have any kind of answer as to how things could be made more bearable, but I hope, if nothing else, they find a way of reaching some kind of peace of mind.

One last thought, for all the talk about giving and receiving, I actually believe this time of year should be about being mindful of the importance of those in our lives, both past and present. How lucky we were to know and love people who have passed but also who we have in our lives now, not to mention everyone we haven’t met yet, who are on their way. Now that’s quite an exciting prospect, don’t you think? Who knows? Maybe this time next year, there will be new people at the dinner table, perhaps even someone unexpected waiting for you under the mistletoe-as they say in those Christmas movies, anything is possible!

Anyway, whatever may happen, I wish you all nothing but a time filled with love and laughter, as one who has been blessed with your constant support and affection-it seems to me, you deserve nothing less than a truly glorious holiday season....until the next time...

Take very good care out there xxx





Popular Posts