Looking Outside. Looking Inside

 Hello Everyone, I'm very aware that I haven't been here recently, things have been very difficult chez Turner and so I had to focus all of my energies in trying to get everything back to some kind of normality. I hope you're all doing as well as possible, that those who celebrate Easter had a wonderful time and the world doesn't seem to be such a bleak place. Obviously, there are so many conflicts in the world, as regular readers know, I almost never comment on politics, but I do hope, some kind of peaceful resolution can be found before any more innocent lives are lost.

I appreciate the title of this post might seem a bit vague but hopefully by the end, it will make sense. It was suggested to me by a recent article I read that was explaining the increasingly disturbing role certain influencers are playing in many people's lives. I am particularly referring to those who describe themselves as 'lifestyle gurus' who offer their alleged advice on everything from dieting to relationships often ending with ways to cope with various mental health issues. I would imagine it goes without saying, the vast majority of these people have almost no recognised qualifications other than perhaps being able to post a video on social media. Yet, they earnestly offer their advice while promoting alleged 'cures,' which are obviously their way of earning money. Aside from the obvious risks of following any kind of advice from anyone other than a trained professional, what particularly concerns me is that young people are their main audience. Whereas someone with more life experience would be understandably sceptical when hearing certain claims, perhaps a teenager who is desperately searching for an instant answer might not be so discerning.

I have to say, what worries me even more is the current trend to self-diagnose with life-changing mental health issues which have little or no basis in fact. I was recently made aware of one person on TikTok who routinely proclaimed herself to be autistic and posted regularly on the challenges she apparently faced while offering advice to others who are on the spectrum. When she was revealed to have no formal diagnosis, and in fact, had actually been professionally assessed and found not to be autistic. Rather than admit her lies, she vehemently protested that she had been completely 'misunderstood' and urged her followers not to pay any attention when a doctor, psychologist etc tells you, you don't have a condition! The level of irresponsibility is clear and yet, as far as I'm aware, she is still talking about her daily struggles while pocketing sponsorship money from companies who have a vested interest in her promoting their products.

But away from diagnosable issues, there are those influencers who will insist they know exactly how to make your life extraordinary, with dreams coming true on an almost daily basis. Some will insist you manifest to the universe, and it will provide, obviously your chances of success are allegedly greatly enhanced if you buy the particular candle that just happens to be on offer. Others will do little more than recite inspirational quotes, as an example, one suggested repeating a few words which would, in time, bring out your inner warrior- again this process could be speeded up if you also used certain skincare brands. I have to admit, I couldn't quite make the link between perfect skin and being a warrior but maybe it wasn't aimed at me.

However, my writing about self-help would be very unbalanced if I didn't include those who can provide useful advice based on actual research by qualified individuals. I think if you are feeling completely lost and are looking for some help finding a direction for your life, then obviously I heartily advocate seeking the best possible resources. Sadly, mental health provision is not always readily available for much of the population, owing to the lack of funding and trained staff. So, it does make sense to try and find some guidance rather than suffer in silence, but extreme vigilance is needed when it comes to putting your wellbeing- even partially- in the hands of someone else.

Even though it might sound like it, I'm not against social media at all, in fact, I think it does a great deal of good as it makes connections that, at one time, would have been impossible. At its best, communities are formed, knowledge is shared and people from every kind of background can easily interact across the world. As I said earlier, it's the rapid growth of certain types of influencers, which is my primary concern, For them, making a video or three a day, is simply a way of making money, whereas for some of those who regularly watch and absorb every word, that interaction could be infinitely less beneficial. 

I hope the title makes sense now, as by constantly looking outside of ourselves for all the answers, perhaps we all need to develop the habit of first looking within our own minds and hearts. If we all took some time to focus, we may well find that we already know what will make us happy, our lives more fulfilled and with time and patience, I believe, we can get there-without purchasing an overpriced candle! 

Anyway, with all that said, it's time to let you go so until the next time...as always..

Take care out there xx



Popular Posts