Scoring Life Goals...(with a few near misses)


Hello again, I hope all is well with you and you’re ready for another weekend...so what thought has caused me to sit down and write today? Well, as I am currently going through a series of life changes, I guess that answers the question. Now before you reach for the ‘delete’ button, let me quickly add, this is NOT going to be one of those blog posts about ‘finding the real you’ - (although as they continue to thrive, there must be much value in them for people). No, I found the ‘real’ me some years ago and that was shocking enough without launching on another journey of self-discovery so I can potentially find the even less-than-pleasant- parts of me which have thankfully remained hidden thus far in my life. So what am I going to be talking about? Well, I am more interested in those life goals we set ourselves..so let’s get on and hope none of those skeletons currently residing in my closet decide this is the perfect time to make an appearance…
 
 



So life goals...and before you try and convince me you’ve never had them, I feel sure I can prove the contrary, after all, I am not sure there can be anyone, who when they were young, didn’t say- with total certainty- they would grow up to be a princess, perhaps an astronaut or, that one day, they would eat all the ice cream in the world or make the biggest chocolate cake EVER! (yes I am aware there’s a theme there, but I missed lunch and so the thought of food is hovering at the back of my mind). Now, much as I know some of those goals have been achieved,(although sadly not by me or, it seems, anyone else in my immediate proximity which explains the dismal biscuit I am currently forcing down). But what about those other goals, the ones about having a successful career, a happy relationship and being a wonderful parent? They’re achievable, aren’t they? I sincerely believe so, even though, I am starting to think, for example, being an astronaut would, at times, be infinitely easier than parenting. Career wise, I fully accept, trying to find something exciting about photocopying a 200 page report for distribution, when you know, most of the people who will receive it, will probably ignore it and either go back to their nap or continue to unravel the mysteries of Candy Crush – isn’t particularly thrilling.



But just because those goals aren’t likely to have the Nobel Prize Committee knocking at the door, that doesn’t make them any less worthwhile. Speaking personally, I have been a parent for a LONG time, and yes, it hasn’t all been sunshine and lollipops, but the fact my daughters have grown up, without wanting to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting world, well, I consider that a life goal achieved. They are out there in the world now, (sorry, that does sound like a line from a B-movie disaster movie when the aliens have landed from outer space), and it’s very encouraging to see them pursue their own ambitions. Of course, much of their success is down to their own hard work, but I don’t feel it’s unreasonable for me to take a tiny percentage of the credit, as I was the one who raised them. (N.B. Obviously if you asked my daughters, they would insist their continuing sanity is DESPITE of my parenting, but we amicably agreed to disagree on that point a while ago).
 
 



But what about the goal of a happy relationship? Well, for me, it can only happen when you find the ‘right’ person, sadly – myself included- too many of us try and make a partnership work even when it’s blindingly obvious, it’s never going to happen. Yet, for some reason, we stay with someone who is everything we dislike in a human being, in the vain hope, if we wait long enough, if we keep trying to mould them into something faintly acceptable, happiness will surely come our way. Naturally, in almost every case, this just doesn’t happen and we either graciously accept defeat and move on or we sadly resign ourselves to the fact, our partner is just awful and we take up a time-consuming hobby instead, so we don’t have to spend the day with them. May I suggest taxidermy, as I suspect, spending your days, ramming things into every possible orifice of something which is way past caring, could be hugely satisfying (and no, that’s not a plotline from the latest ‘Fifty Shades’ franchise, as I understand it, the two main characters are alive throughout the whole story although having seen the film, that point is debatable).



Now, having read thus far, I can guess what you’re thinking,(hopefully not, has she finished that biscuit yet and if so, is she going to have another one? As you’ve asked, the answers are ‘yes I have’ and ‘ I haven’t decided yet’). So instead, I am hoping you’re wondering, what life goals do I feel I have attained? Well, as I’ve mentioned, being as good a parent as possible, is an ongoing one, but I do feel I am heading in the right direction. As far as my relationship is concerned, well, it does have it’s seriously tricky moments, but sappy as it sounds, I really can’t imagine wanting to be with anyone else. As you may have guessed, I do love to laugh and, thankfully, we do share a similar sense of humour, which invariably brings us back together – even when a major incident has happened which causes a temporary division (e.g. who ate all the chocolate).



But before you start to imagine I am whipping through my life goals, I am really not- there is so much more I would like to do, some things I haven’t even started yet and that’s largely because Life does get in the way, but as the immortal Dory says in ‘Finding Nemo’, I aim to ‘just keep swimming’ and hopefully, I will get there in the end, perhaps I will see you there...until the next time..



Take care out there xx














Popular Posts