When I did a 'Dorothy' and found Oz....

Welcome back, again my sincere apologies for not being able to be here earlier, but, as always, Life seems to have had other plans for me recently..anyway, without further delay, let's get on...so, as you might have guessed from the title, I am going to write about how you can travel literally thousands of miles and still feel like you've barely taken a step until you take a much closer look...

As I might have mentioned before,(although I might not have, so don't waste time checking back), I am originally from the U.K. but, throughout my life, I have travelled far and wide across our little planet. I have always felt, with so much world to see, it seemed a shame to only ever see one tiny part. Please don't misunderstand, I do love my home country – for all its faults ( most of which are the direct responsibility of the politicians), we have a rich history, a surprisingly diverse landscape and a way of life which has many blessings. But, as I said, I do have this need to see what's over the next mountain...so when the idea of Australia came to mind, I couldn't think of a single reason not to go and explore, although those around me could think of several ! The main objection seemed to be how far away Australia is from the U.K. which, even with my basic geography knowledge, was blatantly obvious ( as an aside, don't you just love it, when people tell you - usually in a vaguely patronising tone- something which most toddlers could work out ?) Once I reassured them I was aware of this fact, there was either a degree of eye-rolling or a whispered 'things can happen to women travelling alone.' Naturally, I reassured them, I would be absolutely fine and – as very often happens- life chose to intervene and contradict me, as over the next weeks, a plane sadly crashed, another was attacked by an unknown assailant and a further one, disappeared completely. But undaunted, I hopped aboard the plane, leaving behind those who seemingly wouldn't even go the fridge without a first aid kit and a walkie talkie.



Now, as I gazed out of the window, watching the magical cloudscape drift by, it did occur to me, I didn't really know much about Australia at all ! (Yes, you would imagine this thought might have occurred to me sooner and I would have bought an informative guidebook, but I didn't..) In fact, my knowledge seemed largely based on the works of pop goddess Kylie Minogue, my pregnancies spent in the company of either the cast of 'Neighbours' or 'Home and Away' as I had to have my feet raised to prevent swollen ankles and, of course, the world famous wildlife, one of which I grew up with - the TV show 'Skippy- The Bush Kangaroo.' Now for those of you who sadly missed this particular gem, it was obviously based on the adventures of 'Skippy' who belonged to a boy, who conveniently, was perhaps one of the most accident prone children ever, as he frequently fell down mineshafts, wells, got feet trapped under rocks, passed out having eaten poisonous fruit etc etc. Owing to this young man's frankly reckless behaviour, it was down to the relentless Skippy to rescue him – either alone, or travelling through a bushfire to get help or (and I am completely honest about this), would use a radio to summon assistance. Skippy didn't talk, because that would be too far-fetched- even for these script writers- so instead the lovable kangaroo would switch on the radio and through the use of a series of clicking noises, managed to relay the location of his trapped owner, to the local park ranger- just in the nick of time!



Anyway, so when we landed in Melbourne, some 26 hours later, my lack of Oz knowledge was now blindingly apparent, as it was abundantly clear the ONLY thing I knew about was Skippy, and the chances of her rescuing me, did seem unlikely. But with all the blind faith of the fool, I stepped out into the sunshine and was relieved to see a flag flying, with my own beloved Union Jack wedged firmly in one corner – could it be this famed land Down Under was just a much warmer version of home ? After all, every signpost was in English, familiar brands were advertising everywhere and the people looked exactly the same too. To be honest, when all these facts became clear, I did feel a slight pang of disappointment, had I travelled so far NOT to experience anything new ? But thankfully, I could not have been more wrong, it was true, there were some things which reminded me of home, but there were many more which were completely different. For example, one evening, I was walking along a perfectly ordinary suburban street, when suddenly I noticed a four-legged creature in the shadows, I stopped, assuming it was just a neighbourhood cat on the prowl, but when it turned to face me, I realised I was meeting my very first possum- its huge eyes stared back at me, before it scampered away into the darkness. Every morning, instead of the familiar chirping of the English dawn chorus, I was awoken by a dazzling array of bird calls and even a sleepy glance out of the window revealed a flock of multi-coloured parakeets zipping through the bluest of skies.

The longer I stayed, the blend of the familiar and the completely unfamiliar became a very enjoyable cocktail – within Melbourne, there are manicured parks which could easily be in the heart of London, statues of English royalty gaze down on the bustling streets as they do back home, yet alongside these, are wildlife reserves filled with animals and plants unique to Australia. Even doing a supermarket shop – possibly one of the most boring tasks ever – shows off this diversity...one of my first trips left me standing at the fish counter for ages, as I attempted to 'pair up' the Northern hemisphere favourites with Barramundi, Flathead and Blue Grenadier, in the vain hope, I might be able to prepare a meal. There are many more examples, but I don't think it is entirely necessary I share my whole shopping list- otherwise you'll suddenly remember you haven't done your own groceries and leave before the end...(not that I am saying its worth staying for, but you might like to know).



I do think it's those kind of times which make me enjoy travelling so much, because even doing the more mundane tasks can be quite a challenge. What wasn't mundane, was when I finally saw a wild kangaroo, which may or may not have been Skippy, I suppose I could have hurled myself down a mineshaft and seen if one rescued me, but I was more than happy to stand in the half-light of dusk and silently watch them emerge from the bush to feed. I know they meant a different place, but, at that moment, I really did feel I was in the magical land of Oz.

It is said, travel broadens the mind, I believe that so much, to experience the world is something I genuinely feel would make us all far more understanding of other cultures, because then we wouldn't think of them as 'unknown' and, perhaps, this would make us all slightly less fearful. The unfamiliar will always remain that way, if we don't make an effort to explore it...and I am a long way from being done. I hope you will be back again soon, but I REALLY hope you will be off on your own adventures too...either way, until the next time....

Take care out there xx




Popular Posts