A World for all Seasons...

Well, here we are again...I hope you're all well and ready for the weekend..it's hard to believe, but it's almost the end of May and for an Englishwoman, the promise of Summer is just around the corner. I say 'promise' because, as everyone knows, English weather is unpredictable at best. But now I am in the opposite hemisphere, May means Autumn and you know, however hard I try, the prospect of August being a Winter month still seems hard to grasp.



Since being here, I have come to realise just how 'set' we can all become..for example, Christmas has always meant to me, cold weather, the hope of snow and everyone rushing around the shops, at the last minute, hoping to find the ideal gift for that person you've forgotten who has suddenly called you and is 'popping by' that evening. Obviously Christmas Day itself, begins with opening presents which, (if you have children), prompts a frantic search for AA batteries or finding yet another powerpoint to charge some long-coveted piece of technology which will render the new owner mute for the rest of the day. As a mother, ( and before I get an angry message from someone lambasting me for promoting gender stereotypes, I like cooking,ok ?) the next task, would be trying to fit an unfeasibly large turkey into the oven, while still leaving room for the countless vegetables which will also need roasting. Some hours later, we would all sit round having eaten enough food to feed a smallish army, our distended bodies now resembling that same plump turkey ! The remainder of the poor bird, now carefully wrapped in foil, would sit almost accusingly in the fridge, as if daring me to make another meal from it, which because I hate waste, would undoubtedly happen.

But Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere ? Well, it isn't exactly the same...yes, there is the same hunt for that perfect gift, but you do your shopping in the lightest clothes you own because the temperature is somewhere in the 30's C. Rather than the frantic rush of the North, people amble around the shops, soaking up the sun as they go...the only time the pace quickens is when heading to the air-conditioned heaven of the nearest mall. On the day, well, as the sun streams through the windows, the prospect of cooking the full traditional roast seems insane - but last Christmas, I did try. My daughter, who is also English, seemed to be missing home, and so it seemed like such a good idea, to try and replicate our 'usual' Christmas Day...as it turned out, this was bordering on madness. As the temperature hit the 40's outside, I was in the kitchen, oven turned on, roasting alongside the turkey..in fact, it would have been hard to judge which one of us was the hottest ! But undaunted, I kept on cooking, determined to produce the traditional English Christmas experience. You will be relieved to hear, despite the undoubted risk of dehydration, plates of food emerged from that kitchen which would have graced any British table. Unsurprisingly, the wonderful Aussies watching me, clearly thought I had completely lost my mind, as they had felt it would make much more sense to enjoy a lovely barbecue - just for the record, they were right. But as we all sat down to feast, I glanced at my daughter and she was happy, so it was all worth it.



But it's not just the 'big' days of the year, even as I am typing this to you, there's a distinct chill in the air and the leaves are gracefully falling from the trees. Although I obviously know it's Autumn, but there's still that tiny part of my mind saying, 'But it's May, this shouldn't be happening !' It does make me wonder about those creatures, thousands of years ago, who were forced to move because of the onset of the Ice Age or the shifting land masses caused by volcanic eruptions, ocean levels etc Do you think there were any who glanced up at the wall of ice heading their way and thought, 'I'm not going anywhere, it's Summer time' ? Or looked at their friends who were frantically trying to grow flippers as the tide was obviously rapidly rising and stubbornly said 'I'm not really a water person.' My knowledge of evolution is hardly extensive, but I think it's safe to say, it was those creatures who adapted to their new surroundings which ultimately survived.

I know there are some people who don't like change, they go the same place every year for their holidays, they have the same meals on the same days each week and even the most intimate parts of their lives have a comfortable routine - every Thursday and Saturday night as long as there's nothing good on television. I do understand why they like this way of life, it's secure, no surprises and everyone knows what's going to happen. But that kind of life is really not for me, which is probably why I am here..I swapped hemispheres to experience new things and have not regretted a moment - ( although there were a few, in that sweltering Christmas kitchen, when I would have sold my soul to be back in the Frozen North).

I am not going to lie to you, it hasn't been all plain-sailing, adapting to another way of life, especially one where the seasons all feel they're the wrong way round - but if I could turn the clock back, I would still get on that plane and fly here, after all, I know, if I reach 90 and look back at my life, I will be so happy I did it and would have been so angry if I hadn't...

Well, as there aren't so many daylight hours now, I had better get moving..so as always, thank you for stopping by and until the next time....

Take care out there xx




Popular Posts