Too Quick to Judge...

Well, my friends, you might be wondering why I've been absent...the answer is simple, in light of the recent terrorist attack in Manchester, U.K. I felt it would be inappropriate to try and divert attention from what was, a heinous act. I don't think there can be many people who were not horrified by the news, and, as parents, we could all try and imagine the horror of trying to find your child in the amidst of such confusion. I cannot pretend to know, just how awful it must have been, to have seen your child so excited about seeing their favourite pop star and only a few hours later, you're frantically racing around the city, hoping they are still alive. As often happens, in the light of such a dramatic incident, the community pulled together, many stories emerged of hotels opening their doors to lost children, religious groups of all denominations rushing to the scene and so many individuals offering their homes as places of safety. I think we were all heartened to see, in the face of such an atrocity, the British public shone through and, I believe, that perhaps more than anything else, should show anyone wishing to maim or kill innocent people, we are not a nation which is easily broken.



But sadly, for all the acts of courage and kindness, some showed their true colours - by posting tasteless attempts at humour on social media, by attempting to push their own political agenda via those poor victims. Speaking personally, ( and I should stress, I have no particular affiliation with any political party), I was appalled to read, some suggested the current British government somehow 'engineered' the attack to somehow affect the outcome of the forthcoming election. Much as I don't doubt, there are politicians who wouldn't hesitate to perhaps 'bend the rules' to further their own cause, it is beyond belief, anyone would sacrifice youngsters to gain any kind of advantage.

I was also saddened to see some commentators start to play 'the blame game' when there were still concert-goers who were missing. At the time of writing, the targets for such speculation, ranged from the arena security staff, to the police and even the popstar Ariana Grande who was performing on that fateful evening. As my own daughters are around her age, I was genuinely shocked by how easily some reporters seemingly gleefully to lay the blame for this attack at her door, then going on to describe her message of sadness, as nothing more than 'attention seeking.' She is clearly blameless and yet, for whatever reason, she was criticised and I found that especially harsh. I can only guess how she must have felt as the news unfolded, the awful realisation that some of her young fans had lost their lives, only minutes after she had left the stage must have been almost impossible to comprehend. Perhaps she even felt responsible, going through all the possible 'if onlys' - but was it -in any way - constructive of certain aspects of the media, to turn their attention on her ? I really don't think so. The blame for this tragedy lies solely with the suicide bomber who walked into the concert arena foyer and detonated that device - we all know this to be true.

But in the aftermath, there was no shortage of people throwing judgement around like confetti, aside from Ariana, the entire Muslim faith was also held up to scrutiny. The racist community didn't hesitate to start suggesting it was time to 'send them all back from where they came from' - and it's this reaction which, in my opinion, does the most damage. I am sure, most Muslims are like everyone else, they wish to work. raise their families and live in peace with their neighbours, while hoping for acceptance of their religious beliefs. In a modern, multi-cultural society, these wishes don't seem to be especially extreme, they are probably shared by everyone - whatever faith or creed you follow. It never fails to sadden me, when I read completely innocent people are targeted by those with nothing but hate and ignorance running through their veins, not so long ago, a young Muslim woman was forced to deal with a torrent of verbal abuse, purely because of her faith. A whole people should never be judged on the actions of a few, I truly believe this, I am sure there were many Muslim parents who were equally distressed to see those events unfold and subsequently held their children a little tighter that night , as I know many of us did.

Finally, the Manchester bomb will never be forgotten by any of us, but especially those who were directly affected. But I hope - more than anything else - the community spirit shown on that fateful night, remains and grows stronger because it seems so me, it's that which will ultimately defeat those who wish to divide decent, law-abiding people who want only to live together in a peaceful way. I also hope Ariana Grande does perform again, not because I am a particular fan of her music, but those young people who lost their lives, obviously thought she was amazing and so, in their memory, it seems only right she continues to entertain her audience.  As for those who have been so quick to judge ? First, I repeat the old saying, " Judge, when you can look in the mirror and see perfection.' But more importantly, perhaps in the future, make sure you know ALL the facts before having an opinion and show some humility and concern for people - be they famous or unknown, young or old, all faiths, all creeds...because, it's being able to extend your compassion to those around you, which separates you from those who only want to cause harm....

Anyway, as always...until the next time...

Take care out there xx



Popular Posts