If you're happy, do you know it ?

Well, it's been a while, hasn't it ? I have struggled with motivation generally recently, so please don't feel I have singled you out for neglect, it's just, ( and I know this sounds like whining), justice has proved to be pretty elusive recently or, at least, it's felt that way. I don't believe I am unique in having that 'someone up there doesn't like me' feeling, when everything that can go wrong, does go wrong and that's only the things you had considered ! A whole iceberg of previously undreamt of disasters also sweeps along and rips a hole in your personal Titanic, leaving you with the distinct impression, there were never going to be enough lifeboats to save you from the sheer ocean of c**p which is threatening to sweep you away with the tide.Not to mention, it turns out when the boat does start sinking, no sign of Celine Dion anywhere !!! (N.B. For those of you unfamiliar with the movie 'Titanic" starring Leonardo di Caprio, Ms Dion sang the theme song, although if you don't know that, you've clearly been away from Planet Earth for many years, so welcome back).



But, anyway, while thinking that life is just a miserable business, it's all to easy to forget, however bad certain areas feel, there are usually some good ones too. Now before you groan, I promise I won't turn this into some godawful inspirational quote, ( those of you who are regular readers will know just how much I hate them !) But in all lives, if you look really hard, there's usually some positive aspects to be found. As an example, a friend of mine had a baby almost a year ago, he has severe health issues and faces an uncertain time, but his mother never fails to remember how fortunate she is to have a loving husband, other beautiful children and an extended family which, for the most part, does their best to support her. Now I don't doubt, when she sees her son struggling, she wants to scream at someone or something about how unfair it all is - I have also no doubts, she does this from time to time. But what truly impresses me, is how she manages to find so much happiness and positivity within a life which is unquestionably challenging.

My own life has proved to be difficult, but in another way, as I've previously written in other posts, I am at the mercy of a government organisation which seems to be hellbent on making things as awkward as possible. Aside from this ongoing irritation, I feel as if I am surrounded by other circumstances which are also making day-to-day life increasingly difficult - so much so, as I said, I have felt worn down by the whole mess. I have wanted to retreat under the blankets until some helpful soul taps gently on my shoulder, to tell me 'they've' sorted everything out and so it's now safe for me to emerge once more. Sadly, as we all know, rarely does this happen, mysterious strangers who solve all your problems for you, don't seem to happen anywhere but a Marvel or DC universe.



As I have been forced to accept the fact my life is never going to be blessed with a superhero 'saving' my day, I guess I will just have to be my own - although I am nowhere near as physically blessed as Wonder Woman, Gal Gadot. It is no exaggeration to say, actually sitting down today and start typing took a huge amount of effort, mainly because of that lack of motivation - not because I don't enjoy writing, I really do love it, but just that awful feeling of being worn down. Thankfully, I managed to find some positivity in my own life which gave me the kick up the butt I needed to stop feeling so sorry for myself and start getting on with things again. I have no doubt in saying, yes, my life is far from easy, but I am blessed to share it with some truly wonderful people and that's what I need to remember. Life is about balance, good and bad, happiness and grief etc so maybe, however hard this current period feels, I am hoping there's the complete opposite heading my way soon and until that happens, I should find some happiness now.



While on the subject, it's a strange thing, happiness, isn't it ? Sometimes when life seems particularly harsh, it's tempting to start thinking we somehow deserve to be happy, as if the mere fact we've suffered, should result in a time when we rejoice. I can think of so many people, who I feel deserve some genuine joy in their lives and I am sure you can too. Equally, there are some thoroughly unpleasant characters who seem to have almost 'charmed' lives and are constantly happy even though it feels, they've done nothing to deserve much at all ! But I guess that brings me back to the belief, all in Life is about balance, so maybe for any sadness their behaviour causes now, perhaps, in time, they will also experience hardships.

So in response to the title, am I happy and do I know it ? As I sit typing this to you, I cannot pretend to be one huge beaming smile, but, for all it's pitfalls and melodramas, my life does have happiness in it - and now I've remembered that fact, it doesn't seem quite so bad. Just as nothing good lasts forever, nothing bad can either...more of that balance idea, I know, but I believe it to be true. My particular 'Titanic' has - without question- hit an iceberg but, not such a big one, the hole cannot be fixed and we can keep sailing to better times. I sincerely hope you keep going too because sinking completely does seem a bit 'final', wouldn't you agree ? So, on that unexpectedly positive note..until the next time....

Take care out there xx

Popular Posts