I'm no doctor, but....

Well, here we go again..and I have no shame admitting to you, this has not been a good week in some ways but that is how life goes, don't you think ? Some weeks are better than others. Now, I don't want to suggest - even slightly- the fact I was diagnosed with depression many years ago, make those 'bad' weeks somehow worse for me, but it certainly doesn't help ! Although, in saying that, the fact a medical professional examined me  can and gave me an actual diagnosis, is oddly comforting because, ( and forgive the play on words), it does mean when I have those black days, I do know why and can feel reassured, I am not just whining and it's not just all in my head.



Now you may be wondering why I have brought this subject to the fore, well, it's because recently I have noticed how many people seem to be bypassing the medical profession completely and diagnosing themselves with various mental health issues and, to be brutally honest, I find their attitude seriously annoying.

As an example, I have a friend who was diagnosed with severe anxiety, she needs prescribed medication, she has gone through counselling sessions and is now thankfully, able to apply Cognitive Behaviour Therapy techniques when her attacks are severe. However, she still struggles in certain situations which obviously, as her friend, I hope become easier in the future. Bravely, she has talked openly about her struggle and, for the most part, she receives encouraging support, but there are always at least three people who say they have the same thing and 'know exactly how she feels.' One person then proceeded to describe when they went to a job interview, they felt. very nervous and so could completely understand her condition, it seemed they also felt 'a bit shaky' when they had to do a presentation at work. From these two examples, ( and I promise you, they were the only two), they concluded they suffered with anxiety ! So, in effect, they compared having to participate in two situations which most people would have found slightly difficult, to the debilitating nature of having to deal with panic attacks, being gripped by an unknown source of fear and sometimes even being housebound ! It's beyond belief ! It struck me as saying stubbing your toe is the same as breaking your whole leg !

The same kind of thing has happened to me, when I have spoken about depression, there are invariably those who will slowly nod ( I don't know why), and tell me they have the same thing. But when I have talked more about the days I cannot even find the energy or will to get out of bed, when the level of despair is so intense I would take anything just to block it out..suddenly the nodding stops and they look at me in horror before saying,

"Oh I know how to manage mine, I just go shopping..I find a bit of retail therapy does the trick, or chocolate."

I have to confess, my friends, there have been times when I have wanted to scream back at them,

"That's not depression then, you *****...that's just you having a bad day - they aren't the same thing !"

But obviously I have never done that, I've just taken a deep breath, walked away and yelled once I am alone.

Now, I don't know why some people feel it's just fine just to diagnose themselves with a mental health issue, after all, it's not as if you would do the same for a physical problem,

"Oh look, I have cut my finger while chopping the vegetables, I must have some awful blood disorder which will require an instant transfusion to cleanse my entire circulatory system."

So it must mean - strange as it sounds - there must be some kind of 'glamour' attached to mental health, I have had a number of people suggest to me, they probably have a 'bit' of depression as they are very artistic. Now, aside from the fact, there is no such thing as a bit, I strongly doubt there is any medical evidence to prove, for example, being handy with a paintbrush is directly linked to mental wellbeing. In fact, having known a few professional artists, they have been as happy as clams, although in certain cases, surprisingly promiscuous and almost legendary when it came to alcohol consumption. I suppose, if we are looking to find an explanation for this apparent need to have some issue, I suppose celebrity culture might be seen as a contributory factor although, this seems, pretty unfair. After all, I believe, for the most part, those in the public eye who have talked about their problems, want to either raise awareness or to explain those sadly photographed trips to clinics. (I say, sadly, because it does seem ridiculously intrusive to follow someone and snap away with a camera when they are obviously struggling - but that's another issue).

Now, let me make it clear, I don't want to dissuade anyone from seeking help and I certainly wouldn't want to be perceived as someone who makes light of other peoples' struggles, but I do resent those who seem to want to hop on the mental health bandwagon for no other reason than to either gain sympathy or - worse still- want to appear 'different.' As one who has  faced days, even weeks, of feeling total despair - I can assure you, that kind of 'different' is a place you don't want to visit.



One last point, if you do feel you're not feeling as you should, please seek professional help, don't be tempted to Google your symptoms and make your own diagnosis. Aside from anything else, you could miss out on receiving therapy or medications which could genuinely help you understand what's happening and how to manage your health in the long term. Speaking personally, I have no hesitation in saying, I would not be around to type this post, had it not been for the professional help I have received and that, my friends, is why I find it so difficult when some people compare their 'off days' to what I have experienced.

Having mental health problems doesn't make you any more valued or unique than anyone else, I truly believe that...so nobody needs to add any kind of 'drama' to make themselves appear more 'special', because when you do, it actually makes you appear 'less' and who wants that ? Anyway, that's more than enough for now..so, owing to the subject of today's post...until next time...

Take extra care out there xx










Popular Posts