Not really but also...

Well, my friends, here we are again..although where exactly 'here' is ..well, that's the question, isn't it ? The world seems to have gone mad so perhaps it's no surprise I am fairly sure I am losing the plot too..let me explain..

When you're faced with a struggle against any huge organisation, it's surprisingly easy to feel completely overwhelmed, that whole 'David and Goliath' thing, seems little more than a fairytale, when you're the 'little' one.


I have been sparring with a government department for months now, and, too often, just when it seems I have the upper hand, an official will say something like,

"Ah yes, well in most cases that would be true, but in your particular situation, the rules don't apply."

Furthermore, as I am sure many of you have experienced, there seem to be an endless supply of forms to complete, which always strikes me as ironic, when so many government bodies speak - at length - about how much they care for the environment. Perhaps they don't consider slicing down entire forests just to produce endless copies of Form 1324, even slightly damaging ! I shouldn't be at all surprised to learn there are homeless squirrels out there, frantically searching for their 'home' tree, completely unaware that the local government authority are now using it, to produce countless forms which no-one understands.

If I sound frazzled, well, that's because I am, because I seem to spend literally hours explaining the same thing to a range of different people, who only have those security name tags around their necks, to prove they have any reason at all for being behind the desk. As an aside, those name tags ? Who's idea was it ? If the idea was to keep the building secure, was making the employees wear badges which could be easily removed by some nefarious person, really the best option ? I think not. I could also mention, the fact the employees' name is clearly visible to every passing onlooker, is hardly a topnotch security measure. I have left way too many appointments, knowing little more than 'Janice' works on Level 3 and, if her photo is anything to go by, is not a natural blonde.



Anyway, enough of my worries, what is going on with the world ? We have an American president who seems to think posting tweets every day is much the same thing as formally addressing Congress, so why bother with the speeches ? I find it deeply troubling, when I see elected officials clearly having no idea at all, what their own latest policy might be because they've been too busy with their duties to catch up on Twitter.  We have an Australian government who spent a phenomenal amount of money on a postal vote to decide on the issue of same sex marriage, when the votes were counted, it seems the vast majority of the population said a resounding 'YES', and so now they have to draft a Bill which can be done by Christmas. Now this strikes me as odd, doesn't it you ? After all, if they could get the legislation done that quickly, why didn't they just do that months ago and save the country $150 million dollars ? They could have spent that on something frivolous, like training more nurses, funding education for special needs children..but no, they spent it on sending out millions upon millions of ballot papers - so expect more homeless squirrels.

And while I am on the subject of this mad world we live in, there seems to be a tidal wave of male celebrities who it seems, have spent most of their careers, being sexual predators. Now aside from the obvious horror we all share when we hear this kind of news, what I find especially troubling, is how it appears this behaviour was widely known by senior TV or film executives, yet nothing was done. So, as an example, an entire roomful of staff were well aware that a certain TV star behaved so badly people were left with severe mental health issues, yet they knew to report him was a waste of time, as the bosses would make excuses and remind people just how fragile your employment status was, so 'put up and shut up' seems to have been their mantra. Now rightly so, the celebrity is outed and made to face the consequences of their actions, but his bosses ? Nothing happens to them at all, they just have to don a serious expression while talking about 'how things need to change.' Personally, I feel someone needs to consider changing them !

So amidst all this drama and politicking, where does that leave the rest of us ? In my case, I am reduced to agreeing with Dory ( an animated fish ) and just keep swimming although to be fair, she does know where she's going, whereas I don't have the vaguest clue any more. As long as I have remembered to wear shoes before I head out to the shops and I return with most of the items on my shopping list, that day is considered a triumph. I think that's the problem with having to deal with officialdom and red tape, you get too tangled to cope with anything else. I look back and I still have vague recollections of being quite the achiever, whereas now ? Well..now not so much, although I do consider the fact I have made it this far, should not go unnoticed.



I think we all are now longing for the day when there is some genuine peace to be found, a day when political decisions are debated within the walls of government and not on social media and perhaps, (and I know this to be true in my life) a day when I can look at the world and see it as a place of beauty and not as some kind of extended Bedlam, where the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Anyway,I think that's probably more than enough for now, so try and keep your head above water until the next time...until then..as always..

Take care out there xx





Popular Posts