Along the road...

Well, here I am again and I'm writing to you on a stifling afternoon...yes, I know what you're thinking, she's currently in the UK, so it's probably about 14 degrees and raining. But you would be wrong, amazing as it sounds, there is currently a mini-heatwave happening and so we are up in the 30 degrees...and it's, as I think I said, very stuffy..as if a good storm needs to happen to clear the air. As like many of you, I'm sure, I struggled to sleep last night..even though the windows were open, there seemed to be no air. As an insomniac, selfish as it sounds, I have enough trouble sleeping as it is, I really didn't need another obstacle. But it did give me time to think about what to write about today, and, as you may have guessed, it's journeys. Now, before you start imagining an X-Factor contestant, talking about their' journey' through their involvement in the programme, which also needs an 'emotional rollercoaster' involved if you're telling the story properly..I don't mean that kind of trip. No, I am talking about the journey we are all on, this thing we call Life...



Now, I can almost hear a collective groan from here, but I promise there will be no inspirational quotes..no, prompted by a walk down to the shops in this hot weather..it got me thinking about how we all encounter problems and lovely experiences on our way. As an example, almost as soon as I set foot outside the door, I wanted to retreat back into the house again - the heat hit like an open oven door and the prospect of trudging down to the shops filled me with dread. After a brief glimpse into the fridge, it was patently obvious even the most accomplished chef would be unable to create much out of the sorry group of ingredients languishing in the far recesses. So off I went, hoping against hope, my lungs would find enough oxygen to keep me going to avoid the somewhat awkward experience of blacking out on the street ( no, I am not being a drama queen, it really was that bad). As I ambled on, passing a dozing cat, who opened one eye to look at me, then obviously having decided I posed no threat, went back to sleep. I was ridiculously envious...after all, cats don't have to shop, or do housework..they just come and go as they please with all their needs catered for by a willing owner. Having resolved to come back in my next life as a cat, I kept walking..only to quickly be put to shame by two elderly people tending their garden, seemingly oblivious to the high temperature.

As I staggered past, the lady almost skipped up a small ladder to trim a hedge while her husband strode up and down their lawn with a lawnmower. They chatted away and the sound of a radio playing could be heard through the open front door. In the time it took me to pass their house, the lady had hopped off the ladder, filled a watering-can and started work on a flower bed, while her husband quickly baled up the hedge clippings and tossed them on to the compost heap. I said I felt shame, this was because they were, at least, around 30 years older than me..yet here I was, barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

This brief encounter got me thinking, obviously, we were all experiencing the same weather, but, for them, it made no difference to how they were going about their day..whereas I had the mindset of someone stranded in the Sahara Desert merely because it was hot !




I think, at times, we are all guilty of making our Life journey harder than it needs to be...as I've said before, we can carry huge amounts of negative feelings from the past, around with us for years..like vast suitcases crammed with guilt or shame or feelings of failure, most of which we should have left behind years ago. We can look at our present and see only the obstacles, instead of seeing, if nothing else, we are still capable of overcoming them...worst of all, we can look ahead to the future and see nothing but potential disaster..perhaps money issues or family problems. The sad part is, the future hasn't actually happened yet, but the merest thought can drive us to deciding not to move forward at all, in the vain hope, if we stay still, the worst won't happen. Just for the record, from personal experience, this strategy never works, all that happens is the future comes to meet you and the problems you were trying to avoid, are now so much bigger.

At last, I reached the air-conditioned wonder of the supermarket, with all the triumphant feelings of someone conquering Everest...and yes, that probably was a bit over-dramatic. So despite my overwhelming reluctance not to go out at all, then the struggle to breathe coupled with the heat...I had actually made it ! I collected my shopping and started the journey back, feeling as if I had achieved something ( mainly the ingredients for dinner).

I am well aware this isn't exactly ground-breaking stuff, but had it not been for that gardening couple, I might well have turned back, deciding it was just too hard to go shopping, so without even realising it, they had taught me a valuable lesson...or perhaps, more accurately reminded me of one. Our lives are filled with major encounters, be it meeting a husband/wife..a best friend...when your children are born etc etc..but sometimes, it's those chance meetings which prove equally important. How often do we read news stories about someone being rescued from danger by a total stranger ? Or we are on a bus, we see someone struggling to get on board, and a fellow passenger gets up and helps them...simple things, yes...but for those involved, for that moment, a connection is made. Now it might well not last in physical terms, but mentally ? Almost certainly because however small the gesture of consideration, it has great meaning.

I have one last example, it was recently my youngest daughter's birthday, as regular readers will know, our lives have been far from easy for some months and so, I got the distinct impression, she wasn't expecting much. But she was in for a surprise...people took the time to get in touch with her, some called and sang happy birthday, others sent loving messages...she genuinely appreciated all the effort they had made, some might say, small gestures...but I would add ' ...with great significance.' In years to come, I have no doubt, she will have birthday parties which will resemble some Ancient Roman feast....but she will never forget this year, when people wanted her to know she was in their thoughts.

So to sum up, what seems to have become a rather random collection of thoughts...yes, we can all agree Life is a journey, but instead if focusing on just those major destinations, I suppose I am saying - somewhat clumsily - don't miss everything else on the way. We all have the capacity to affect each others' lives, not necessarily with grand gestures either...just remembering to say hello, send a text or even comment on a Facebook post...because it's those small things which make the real difference.


Until the next time..


Take care out there xxx

Popular Posts