Being Reviewed

Hello everyone, well, here we are again, hopefully you were all able to enjoy the Strawberry Moon the other night, it seems, it should herald better times for us all - let's hope that's true. Anyway, today's post was prompted by an article I read about how an author used threatening and abusive language to a review blog - obviously because they didn't like the way their book was described. I should stress, the blog in question is not run by anyone I know, in fact, the author is unknown to me too - but it did get me thinking about this whole review process.

As a writer myself, I am well aware, if I put something into the public domain, then the public has a right to comment on it - much like this blog really. Since I began writing it, I have received messages of support, but also, I have been accused of being all manner of unpleasant things, as the reader hasn't agreed with the point I had been making. Naturally, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to reduce the debate to name-calling doesn't seem especially helpful or productive.

I have books available, at the moment, I have to say, it is quite nerve-wracking when I see a new review has been posted, or someone has taken the time to give my work a star rating. Obviously it's lovely when someone has enjoyed the book, but, it seems to me, I can't cherry-pick reviews - only acknowledging the favourable while ignoring the more critical. In order to avoid this situation, I am aware some authors get friends and family to post reviews, so they receive a wealth of five stars and descriptions like 'this book is amazing' or 'this author is a genius.' Now it may well be true, but does the writer really learn anything other than realising they do love a good ego boost? I suspect not.


Speaking personally, I prefer honest reviews, which hopefully are balanced, so the reader enjoyed the book but felt there needed to be more character development or they loved the first part but were disappointed by the ending - both of these are so useful to me when it comes to my next effort. I would love people to love every word, who fill the whole review with superlatives and profess their undying love for my writing style, however, that would seem to be a forlorn hope in the real world - but I will keep trying!

It seems to me, you simply cannot please everyone, so all you can really try to do, is write a good a story as possible, something you're proud to put out there and hope there is an audience for your kind of book.

However, sadly, there are some people who use the review process as a doorway to settle personal grievances - I have been on the receiving end of this kind of behaviour and it is both hurtful and frustrating. I have no doubt, over the course of my life, I have managed to offend some people, caused them upset and perhaps even behaved badly - after all, I have lived and that happens. But I would prefer anyone who feels that way, to approach me privately and explain why,when and how I caused them distress, so we can either find a resolution or agree to maintain a distance from each other. I find this need to attempt to publicly humiliate me, a little sad really but, I have come to terms with the fact, it happens and although their words can cause damage to both mine and the book's reputation, hopefully, it's not permanent.

After a recent incident, I was advised to ignore reviews, but this seems to me to be counter-productive, I want to get better as a writer, if I decide not to listen to anyone,(which smacks of arrogance), how will I improve ? If someone doesn't highlight their issues with my work, what will prompt me to go back and think again ? Obviously, there have been times when I have fundamentally disagreed with their criticism, so I haven't changed a word - but even in those situations, I have been forced to defend my own choices or, at least, have my belief in my work confirmed.

I am currently working on a new book, while doing so, I am aware of being mindful of what reviewers have said about my past work, so I'm consciously trying not to repeat past errors which will, in turn mean, they will enjoy the finished product more. I don't doubt, faults will still be found, but, you know something? That's okay because I will learn something again.

I believe listening to criticism, although hard at times, is an invaluable resource, as anything which makes me think more, which makes me consider more, will ultimately make me a better writer. I should add, personal attacks only make me realise, they usually come from someone who isn't trying to achieve something for themselves - so although their words can be hurtful at the time, they will not stop me writing or, in fact, stop me at all.

Well, sadly my 'real' job needs me to get to work, but whatever I might be doing today, in my mind, I will be thinking about my characters, telling their story as well as possible and looking forward to hearing what the audience thinks when the book is released. Does that thought make me anxious ? Of course ! But the excitement of releasing a book is worth every sleepless night, attempting to find just the right phrase or plot twist.

I am well aware, we are all criticised, as I've said, the trick is to listen to it all, immediately discard the irrelevant or hurtful, but ponder on the positive - none of us are perfect, we are all works in progress, to be the best we can be, means listening....anyway, thank you again for your time today, as always..until the next time....


Take care out there xxx




Popular Posts